Saturday, May 21, 2011

5 Travel Packing Tips

So it is the day before I embark on my adventure, and I am surprisingly not freaking out. Maybe, it is because I am packed and ready to go...almost. Yesterday, I finished up packing and encountered some humbling set backs. I thought I knew everything about travelling...ha that's funny.


Tumblr_lc0pq6nn7r1qd5l3xo1_500_large
Weheartit
Anyway, I thought I would share some packing tips for all you fellow adventurers out there.

1. Know Thy Airline Guidelines: So I thought I knew all the airline guidelines, no liquids over 4 oz. in carry on and all in a quart bag, ya ya. However, little did I know, that now you also have a limit on total liquid items in your checked bag of 70 oz. and no one bottle can be more than 16 oz. (there goes my shampoo bottle). For most trips, this limit is no big deal, but when you are staying somewhere for 4 weeks, you have to be intentional about what shampoo, sunscreen, and make-up you pack.

2. Share The Load With Friends: That leads into my next tip. If you are traveling in a group consider sharing personal care items. My roommate is brilliant and came up with a solution to the 70 oz. limit. She is taking shampoo, sunscreen, and moisturizer, and I am bringing conditioner, contact solution, and face wash. We both made it under 70 oz. this way, and really there is no reason to have doubles of everything.

Tumblr_lc8hubagp01qzuhd2o1_500_large
Weheartit
3. Split The Cost With Your Suitcases: Money is a touchy issue. In my opinion, it is best to separate everything you are taking with you in different suitcases (but NOT your checked bag). Have some in your purse, some in your carry-on, maybe some in your shoe or front pocket. This way if your purse or carry-on gets stolen, you are not stranded penniless.

4. Keep Your Purse Close To Your Heart: Also, on that note, find a bag or money holder that you can keep close to your body at all times. I bought a cute leather purse that slings over my should, so I can keep an eye on it.

Tumblr_ljlogopv1w1qfch2jo1_500_large
Weheartit
5. Attach Cute Luggage Tags: This is just for fun, but I bought some adorable luggage tags that I am super excited about. On a practical note, it will also help you find your baggage in the baggage claim. :)

P.S. Don't freak out. Odds are wherever you are going has shampoo, toothpaste, and underwear, which is really all you need. Don't pack too much stuff because you don't what to burden your group with being unable to carry your own luggage.

Img_2799.jpg_effected_large
Weheartit
Also, you may be wondering about if I will be blogging in Ecuador. The answer is YES, but I also have some super sweet guest bloggers lined up for you. Some are dear friends and some are bloggers I greatly admire. I am so honored each of them are taking time out of their busy schedule to share their life with you on this blog.

This week, I have two guest bloggers lined up for you. Tomorrow, Emma from Food Coma and Red Velvet (remember I wrote an article about her and her sister Elsie, you can find here). She has a delicious coffee recipe to share. Later this week, my dear friend, Jay Howard from Adventures in Togetherness is going to share about community (remember I visited him and his wife in Pittsburgh, here). 
Tumblr_lhd5jfg8yq1qchmfzo1_400_large
Weheartit
(I couldn't resist the UP reference.)
I will pop in with Spanish lessons and fun pictures as well!
Hope you enjoy. :)

Stay Adventurous, 
Beth
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment