Friday, May 27, 2011

La Plaza Grande

Hello from Ecuador!
I am having a blast.
I have already fallen in love with the city of Quito.
There are not words to describe it, so I have a bunch of pictures to share. :)


On Monday, we went to "La Plaza Grande".
It is essentially their equivalent to a historic downtown.
It is where the Spanish organized the city of Quito.


Oh my goodness, it was so beautiful!
I can't wait to go back.
I know it was only our first excursion,
but I have a feeling this may be my favorite spot in Quito.

This is me and Brandi, my awesome roommate!



While we were there, there was a demonstration in the square called "La Cambia Guardia", or the changing of the guards.
It was so neat to see all of them come together with their president to sing the national anthem.


This was my absolute favorite photo!
I loved the statue of Virgin Mary in the hills contrasting with the busy street.



We also went into La Iglesia La Academia.
The inside was covered with 23 carat gold and took over 150 years to build.
It was magnificent!


This was my happy place.
I can't wait to share more later!
This weekend we are going to the beach!

-Beth
Pin It

1 comment:

  1. so happy you're safe and seeing such beautiful sights! Love you!

    ReplyDelete