Friday, January 13, 2012

Barista Wardrobe Problems

Today is my last official day getting paid to make coffee for other people.
a.k.a. being a barista
In honor of that fact, I thought I would share with you some issues that are common among baristas.

First, the barista wardrobe is a challenge. My two former roommates used to poke fun at me and my other former roommate because we both could wear up to three outfits a day.

We were both baristas.

Here is the thing. You want to look nice to get tips and so people take you seriously as a coffee professional, but there are so many little stain monsters lurking around every corner of a coffee shop waiting to pounce on your precious clothes.

I am especially known for my stain magnetism whether it be bleach, espresso or black ink for stamping sleeves. If there is a mess to be had, odds are it will find me and my favorite cardigan.


So what ends up happening to us serious baristas that have lives outside of the coffee shop is that we begin to accumulate a mini wardrobe for each section of our lives. I have shirts, jeans and cardigans that I only where to make coffee in. Clothes that are cute, but I am not emotionally attached to at all because in one moment, they could be stained forever! Also, there is a certain "look" a barista is supposed to have including flannel shirts, vintage screen tees, poet hats and cardigans.

After my shift is over, I smell like espresso and dish water, and I want to change usually into clothes that make me feel pretty. Hence the beginning of the ever ending "Barista Wardrobe Problem" cycle.

Even though I am sad to be leaving the coffee industry for now, I am looking forward to giving away my flannel shirts. :)

-Coffeegirl
Pin It

5 comments:

  1. I would love the option of wearing my own clothes. I wear a uniform that couldn't make me pretty even if I tried. Plus, keep an outfit to remember good things at the coffee shop. That's what I would do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true, Brandillyn! I love that we don't have a uniform, and that is great advice! I plan on keeping a shirt that I made myself with iron-on letters that says "Barista" on the front and "The Coffee Ethic" on the side. It is my favorite! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will forever poke fun at you :-D Just cause I love you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This line: "there is a certain 'look' a barista is supposed to have including flannel shirts, vintage screen tees, poet hats and cardigans" made me smile. so true. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A soothing ambience is provided to the guests to share a cup of joy. Highest quality products are passionately served to maintain the consistency and to become a globally competitive organization. barista courses

    ReplyDelete