Sunday, October 3, 2010

AIDS Walk 2010

Through my Public Relations writing class, I have been writing with a partner, Kim Perry, for a local non-profit organization, AIDS Project of the Ozarks. They are such a great organization providing relief for HIV positive individuals in 29 counties through Southwest Missouri. Their services include medical help, financial aid, non-perishable item pantry, counseling, etc.

This Saturday, I participated in their event, AIDS Walk. It was so fun like one big family block party including a bounce house, face painting, and red hair extensions, of course.




Around 10, everyone gathered for the walk, which was phenomenal. It is hard to describe. I was all alone amongst this tight nit community. Watching all of these people with a deep connection come together as a community and walk together proudly was breathe taking. I was so honored to be a part of that.



I also ran into a Coffee Ethic regular, Casey Cox, who introduced me to much of the staff of APO. It was great to talk to him and learn about all of their needs as an organization and what they are doing in the Springfield community.

After the walk, there was the Dog Parade. Oh my goodness, there were so many dogs dressed up in the most adorable outfits. Here are just a few:






The experience as a whole was amazing. I walked, met new people, got a T-shirt, and some red extensions! I hope that next year I will be able organize a group to walk. 
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment